Roasting vegetables adds such interesting texture and flavor from the browning and tasty carmelization that occurs. I steam roasted this simple dish which saves a step in the usual preparation. Usually I would lightly steam the cauliflower before roasting but in my Convection Steam Oven, I accomplished both!
Did you know that cauliflower is truly a super food in the category of the cruciferous and Brassica vegetables. This low fat, low cholesterol, and high fiber food is packed with phyto-chemicals that help to fight cancer and that boost the immune system with anti-bacterial and anti-viral properties. Rich in vitamins C, and K as well as B-complex vitamins, a serving of cauliflower offers minerals too like copper, iron, manganese, calcium, and also potassium which helps to offset the effects of sodium in the diet.
This simple recipe will provide a tasty way to get your daily intake of vegetables. You can make adaptations in the ingredients to reflect what you have on hand or that you may prefer over the dill and pine nuts that I have used.
- 1 small head of cauliflower cut into flowerets.
- 2-3 Tbls. flavored olive oil (I used garlic infused)
- 2 Tbls. chopped fresh herbs (I used dill)
- 3 Tbls. pine nuts (can use chopped nuts of your choice)
- Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 1-2 Tbls. Asiago cheese (optional)
- Toss ingredients together and place in small baking dish.
- Set CSO to bake steam mode at 400 degrees for 15 minutes.